Wednesday, September 10, 2008

It's Been A Long Time...

There's a lot that's gone on since I last blogged. And believe me, I've been raging over it all. But I haven't posted because I didn't see the point in venting ideas that have been posted elsewhere. I, for one, realize how annoying it is to see or hear the same thing said ad nauseum. At the same time, though, there's been a definite angst bubbling inside me.

Those who know me know that it's my own fault because I can't stay away from political information. Every day, I watch no fewer than five political shows, then read more via WashingtonPost.com RSS and iGoogle. It's an addiction. At the same time, though, I get irritated at how inexplicably daft people can be. For instance, on an episode of DemocracyNow!, a reporter interviewed a DNC goer about the Obama-Hillary rift. She lamented that she can't get over Hillary losing because "it was women's time." Why? Because of "all the discrimination." Wow. So... what? Black people haven't endured discrimination? Or, is it that women have endured more? Or women's discrimination is more important?

If they could take their ass hats off, they'd see that discrimination has run side-by-side for most people in America besides white men. Despite Women's Suffrage, which only benefited white women, many couldn't get loans by themselves even into the early 80s. Funny thing is, even by 1990, some black people weren't able to do the same thing! Granted, Obama is still a man, but they can't delight in that big wall coming down. It doesn't matter that it still hasn't come down for born-here Latinos, Indians, or Far Easterners, or (GASP) Indigenous Americans. And that's still not even the issue.

Some of these yahoos are willing to do a complete 180 from Hillary's domestic platform in order to vote McCain out of spite. SPITE! I may not trust her or her husband, but I at least know that they don't support supply-side economics. Oh, wait... Bill signed NAFTA and repealed the Glass-Steagall Act. Hmmm...

Well, anyway, McCain and his boy Phil Gramm are all about the Trickle-Down ditty, and won't do anything to help things in the midst of this economic shit storm. Hell, Phil was the guy who lobbied to repeal the Glass-Steagall Act. And it led to the current mortgage crisis - not that it exists to him. He actually said that our current economy is the best in American history. I'm not sure from what year he's counting, but he's clearly ideological. And this was [is] the guy planning McCain's economic agenda. This is the agenda that the hardcore Hillraisers are willing to support because... ... they never can really say. They're just mad she didn't win. I just don't understand that kind of unreason. Especially when Obama's policies are this damn close to hers. But, y'know, that's just by-the-by. Obama clearly cheated since Hillary supported their state to violate party rules, thusly, disqualifying all their votes. And this is just part one of my journey. I have more, but I have to go to sleep now.

4 comments:

T O said...

Welcome Back Madeline. I don't agree 100% with everything you said (I personally believe Obama's policies aren't that radically dissimilar to John McCains') but its good to have you back.

Madeline: The Maddest Hatter said...

How so??? I'm not seeing that one.

T O said...

These materials would enlighten you greatly, and reinforce my point:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/scotland/article4561509.ece

http://www.therealdifference.org/issues.html

http://www.slate.com/id/2181521/


-- If you need more resources, I would gladly provide them.

Madeline: The Maddest Hatter said...

Not very convincing. It's been very evident that Obama was more a centrist/moderate the entire time he's been on the block.

The biggest difference between the two is with the economy. McCain would likely maintain the Supply-side dynamic that's currently in place; where Obama would reverse that agenda in favor of a more pro-middle class tax policy.

Secondly, Obama was a professor of constitutional law, which puts him way ahead of McCain who was a member of the Keating 5.

Third, Obama doesn't support remaining in Iraq. He supports resurrecting the fight in Afghanistan, where the Bush Admin has allowed the Taliban to regain its strength. Believe it or not, Obama actually has better foreign policy ideas than McCain, who is still in the Cold War philosophy.