Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Condi Rice Recalls First Responses to Hurricane Katrina and the “Race Problem” It Caused

Your Black World reports

In her memoir, "No Higher Honor," former Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice recalls how she and President Bush responded to the "race problem" that occurred when Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans: 

That evening, upon arriving at the Palace Hotel, I flipped on the television. Indeed, the hurricane had hit New Orleans. I called Henrietta, who said that the main issue was making sure our people were safe. She’d also convened a departmental task force because offers of foreign assistance were pouring in. I called Secretary of Homeland Security Mike Chertoff, inquiring if there was anything I could do. “It’s pretty bad,” he said. We discussed the question of foreign help briefly, but Mike was clearly in a hurry. He said he’d call if he needed me. I hung up, got dressed, and went to see Spamalot.

The next morning, I went shopping at the Ferragamo shoe store down the block from my hotel, returned to the Palace to await Randy and Mariann’s arrival, and again turned on the television. The airwaves were filled with devastating pictures from New Orleans. And the faces of most of the people in distress were black. I knew right away that I should never have left Washington. I called my chief of staff, Brian Gunderson. “I’m coming home,” I said.

“Yeah. You’d better do that,” he answered.

Then I called the President. “Mr. President, I’m coming back. I don’t know how much I can do, but we clearly have a race problem,” I said.

“Yeah. Why don’t you come on back?” he answered.

I actually hadn’t expected that from the President. That’s odd, I thought. He’d been so insistent that I go and get some rest. He’s really worried. “Maybe I can go to Houston to represent you,” I said.

1 comment:

Paul Harris said...

I'm glad that Condi is able to admit her mistakes, but nevertheless, no matter if one is black, white, or green the gap between the elite and the rest of us is so enormous that most of these folks can never begin to imagine how tough life can be just to survive.

Paul Harris
Author, "Diary From the Dome, Reflections on Fear and Privilege During Katrina"