Thursday, June 19, 2008

Barack Obama's Speech on Father's Day

BENEATH THE SPIN • ERIC L. WATTREE

THE AUDACITY OF TRUTH

Sen. Barack Obama was roundly criticized by some in the black community for having the audacity to go before the Apostolic Church of God, in Chicago, Il, a black forum, on Father’s Day, and suggest that young black men should step up to the plate and become better fathers. He pointed out that the foundation of the entire nation is being shaken by too many young fathers of every race and ethnicity failing to embrace their responsibilities, but the problem is particularly pronounced in the black community, where one half of all children grow up without a father in the home, a number that has doubled since he was a child.

He went on to point out that children who grow up without a father in the home are five times more likely to grow up in poverty, nine time more likely to drop out of school, and twenty times more likely to end up in prison. He also spoke of his own experience without a father. He recalled seeing how embarrassed his mother was to have to go to the market with food stamps in order to feed the family, and the pain she suffered when she couldn’t get him some of the things that other children had. He also spoke of the epidemic of children killing children in the black community, then asked, “How many are we willing to lose?”

I was caught completely slack-jawed that anyone in our community would take issue with such a pertinent and timely message, but with my own unbelieving eyes, I read one of the nation’s most prominent black scholars asking, “If you have a message about the value of fatherhood, why did you wait to speak at a predominantly black church to give the message only to black parents?”

What?!!!

Had Senator Obama gone to a predominantly white forum to criticize black fatherhood, there might have been some validity to the argument that it was inappropriate, but that was far from the case. First, it wasn’t black fatherhood he was criticizing–in fact, he took the time to commend those black fathers who had stepped up to the plate. He also went out of his way to praise Michelle’s father, who in spite of a severe disability that forced him to get up an hour earlier than he would have ordinarily had to just to get to work on time, managed to step up to the plate and bring the type of excellence to his parental responsibility that allowed him to raise two well rounded and successful children. So he wasn’t criticizing black fatherhood at all–on the contrary, he was encouraging those being less than responsible, to rethink their way of life.

And as for the propriety of addressing this issue in a predominantly black forum, I don’t understand the objection–he told the truth, in a black setting, as a black man who grew up without a father. Who better to speak to an issue that needs so badly to be addressed in the black community, than one of the most prominent figures in the community who ever lived? And what would be a more appropriate place to deliver such a message than in a black church, among black people? He would have been remiss not to have given such a speech.

We always talk about the courage to speak truth to power, and that’s exactly what Sen. Obama demonstrated. He’s not stupid–he remembers the backlash that came down on Bill Cosby for broaching this very same subject. Yet, in spite of the fact that he desperately needs black support to win the presidency, he decided that it was so important to delivered this message to his people that he took a chance on losing that support. That is the true meaning of speaking truth to power.

We’re often hoodwinked by demagogues to believe that speaking truth to power means screaming at those holding the highest offices. But power is relative, and true power belongs to those who are most apt to have an immediate impact on our lives. During the fifties and sixties speaking truth to power meant speaking out to the powers that be on the issue of civil rights. Back then it took great courage to do that, as the murder of Malcolm, Martin, and many others will attest. But speaking out on those very same issues today is meaningless. Since there’s nothing new or evocative in such a message, there’s absolutely no danger involved. That’s why you find every militant brother with lips and low self-esteem shaking his fist at the white man. It allows them to look hard, like modern day Malcolms, but without taking any of the risk that Malcolm had to endure.

True power, in this case, is not the government or Barack Obama–true power lies within the status quo, and peer pressure. So if we really want to speak truth to power in this case, we need to be asking why are we criticizing a man that’s advocating personal responsibility while lionizing people like Fifty cents, or ‘Fiddy’, as he’a affectionately called, who’s getting filthy rich by denigrating the very womb of our culture. And if we want to speak truth to power, we should be asking, why are we allowing Langston Hughes and James Baldwin to be all but forgotten, while black Ph.D.s are running around on national t.v. quoting entire courses of Tupac videos–which isn’t to say that Tupac’s not relevant, but it’s about priorities.

Ironically, among the many criticisms that was made about Sen. Obama’s speech was that he was contributing to the stereotyping of black men by suggesting that more of us help our sisters raise our children.

Stereotyping?!!!

Every time a rap video is made that denigrates black women and portray black men us as ignorant, illiterate, and vulgar, it serves as a commercial that goes around the world that says, black men are stupid. Now, that’s stereotyping. And we constantly put out these commercials saying “I’m a gangster, I want to kill my brother, and the queen of my culture is a slut ”, then when we’re treated like idiots, we want to point to Sen. Obama?!! The level of disconnect is amazing.

In contrast, I recently saw a remake of King Kong. While watching it, the first thing that caught my interest was how differently the white man portrays his women. The entire point of that movie was how this white, blue-eyed white woman made the Earth stand still. When they took that white woman ashore and the natives laid eyes on her blond hair, and blue eyes, they went totally berserk—I mean, into an absolute frenzy. In spite of the fact that the island was full of black women, the natives were convinced that nothing in this world would appease this twenty-five foot gorilla like the opportunity to lay his hands on this one White woman. And it turns out they were right, because the minute King Kong laid eyes on her, he forgot about all else. Thereafter, he fought forty foot snakes, numerous dinosaurs, and finally, the United States Air Force, just for the love of this one White woman, who wasn’t even as big as his thumb.

Now that, is the lesson that Obama was trying to teach–and since he had a white mother, and was raised by white grandparents, he has some perspective on that, as oppose to mere speculation. So instead of criticizing him, we need to listen to this black man. He understands that the white man believes in respecting his women because he recognizes that she symbolizes his culture, and everything he is. On the other hand . . .

Fifty Cents:

"Fuck Dat Bitch"
"If a bitch don't like me
“Somethin's' wrong with the bitch...(fuck that bitch)
"Why...oh why...why..you wanna fuck with me now?"

And you say Obama is stereotyping the black man . . . I’d say you’re trying to shoot the messenger.

Eric L. Wattree
wattree.blogspot.com

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

How great it is that everyone thinks that when the woman breaks up with you and keeps the kids, you are automatically a dead beat. If Michelle divorced Barack and took the kids, he would be looking just like the men that he is talking about.

Eric L. Wattree said...

I'm not talking about men who are divorced from their children's mother--I'm talking about men who have divorced their children.

Wattree

Anonymous said...

Anonymous #1, that was weak. Come with something better. Great article by the way.

Anonymous said...

I think that you make some good points however, I disagree with the fact that Barack made this statements without addressing his white side also! Even in a black church I don't think Barack should have addressed the issue (at this time) without critiquing other ethnic groups. If he had addressed other ethnic groups, I would not have anything to say. I agree with you about the way how "fiddy" is making negative songs about black women with no remorse or sense of destruction he commits through his music (the fool is 30 something years old). But, Barack is not the messenger and who's to say he really has the best interest of black people at heart? I would respect his words without doubt after he has made the final leap from Senator to President then, address fathers who are not there for their children. That takes more courage to do (from my view). His “encouragement” is noted but the timing is wrong in my opinion.

Anonymous said...

As Dr. Boyce pointed out in his article, Barack did not make a distinction between fathers being out of the home and those who are ignoring their responsibilities. He said "too many fathers are not in the home....they are choosing to be men rather than little boys." He didn't say one thing about how many divorced men work just as hard as the mothers (more so in my case) to make sure that their kids get everything they need. They are also the only parents who are threatened with going to jail if they cannot find a way to raise the money. Most mothers don't know shit about that.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Wattree I agree with to a certain point on this matter. It just seems that Sen.Obama never wants to address the evils of this racist society, that tend to prohibit any postive light on A.A. Not, to say that his speech in philly wasn't great but, it seems in my opinion that he goes out his way to appease white folks, while it seems that blacks get the finger pointed at us! Do we have a nother Condi Rice on our hands?

Anonymous said...

I just wish Barack would be even handed in his talk. I never once heard him stereotype white men the way he did black men. Also, alot of white men don't live with their kids either. On top of that, black men have lower incomes, and alot of brothers are out here struggling and running from the cops because they don't have the money to make the child support payments!

Eric L. Wattree said...

I’d like to thank all of you for responding to my article, and Dr. Watkins for initiating the discussion. Many of you who disagreed with me had points that were well founded, and I want to assure you that I’ll be taking your points into consideration when I approach this subject in the future.

I learned many years ago that I don’t corner the market on either knowledge, intelligence, or wisdom, and I’m fully dependant on others for my growth. So when I throw my opinion into the marketplace of ideas, it’s simply that–an opinion. Thus, when I write, I never write with the attitude that “this is the way the world is–case close”, but rather, “this is how I see it–please enlighten me if I’m wrong”–because I’d rather be enlightened than be to right any day.

Therefore, when I enter into discourse with my people, I always keep in mind that we are not so much a blanket as we are a quilt, with varying colors, textures, talents, and perceptions. Thus, we need to respect those qualities, and listen to one another, because our very strength is in those subtle differences–they make us more, rather than less.

Wattree

Anonymous said...

I agree with much of what Eric says, he's my man. My goal is to figure out how this conversation can be had from a point of positivity. Attacking brothers and pointing out what we are doing wrong only sets additional low expectations for behavior. A lot of brothers feel that no matter what we do, people are still going to come out and say negative things about us. So, what's the point in doing better?

If black fathers can't even get respect on Father's Day, then I am not sure when they can get it!

I think that a better approach would have been to spend Mother's Day talking to black women about how they can also play a role in healing their relationships with men so that their families can stay together. After all, nearly the entire audience behind Obama's head during the speech consisted of black women. Does it help to give them another person to blame and send them home complaining? That's not going to bring back fathers for their children, who are going to be further taught to disrespect black men by listening to their mothers complaining about them.

If brothers then choose to be irresponsible even after the mothers work through their issues, then that's on them. But if you are talking to black women in the audience, it would seem to me that rather than complaining about the men who aren't there or who aren't listening, you would also work with the women on how they raise their sons and deal with their mates.

It can go both ways and be productive. Also, I am waiting for Obama, who is half white, to give a speech at a white church attacking white men for their extraordinarily high divorce rates. After all, I keep hearing that he is "everyone's president", not "the black president". A speech like his would have sounded better coming from Farrakhan, which is what he did during the Million Man March. But also, Farrakhan's discourse was more understanding and didn't engage in the same kind of pretentious and weak pandering that must be done by elected officials.

Barack hurt us with this speech. His speech writers should do their homework. The last thing I wanted to hear on Father's Day is yet another negative stereotype that I am going to have to fight.

Anonymous said...

Vera Richardson Said:

Wattree thanks for a great post. I read your post and listened to Obama’s speech last night. I must admit that I listened to the speech after reading another post on this site and many of the comments from our readers.

I didn’t find anything offensive or insensitive about the speech. In fact I thought that it was a great speech and was needed by our community. My personal story involves not having a relationship with my biological father. My dad is 82 years old and has only shared a two-year relationship with me in the 54 years of my life. He came into my life at age 18 and existed at age 20. He has never seen 3 of my 4 kids. I just made peace with the fact that some dad are not good fathers this year.

I am thankful that my ex-husband (no 2 (lol) was a great father to our children. My first child was two years old at the time of his father and my divorce. My son was three when I met my second husband and 4 when we got married. He was 22 years old when we divorced. My three girls have stated in the past that they couldn’t related to their friends complaining about their step fathers not been able to relate to them. They stated that reason that they couldn’t relate was because in our house there wasn’t ever a time when their brother was treated unfairly or different than they were treated. In fact since he was 6 years older than the first child born of our marriage he was given more “things” and privileges.

My ex still lives in the same state as “our” son and youngest daughter. He has a key to his son’s house and they all gave their dad gifts and took him out to dinner for Father’s day. Obama speech wasn’t addressed to my ex and it was necessary to praise him because he received praise and thanks from his kids. Secondly, it wasn’t necessary because as Chris Rock said a father is supposed to take care of his kids.

On the other hand there are many women who made bad decisions/choices and as a result of those choices have been forced to be mothers and fathers for their children. I believe that Obama was speaking to those men. My belief is based on his stump speech in Houston. During the speech he laid out his agenda for America and stated that we all had to play our part. In an Op-Ed piece in the local newspaper a white district attorney wrote that his 7 or 8-year-old daughter had attended the rally with him and that she was so excited about Obama. He said that after Obama said students would have to turn off the television and study more. She became very serious and asked can I at least watch television on the weekend or something to that effect.

It is the same thing with Black America. We all are going to have to make some serious changes to get the results that will make all our lives better. For those who worry that he won’t deliver on his promises for our votes, please remember that he stayed at his church for 20 years. A church with a motto of that includes a deep commitment to the black race. Lets do everything humanly possible to elect him first. He will deliver and we will have Rev. Wright to thank for that fact.

Anonymous said...

I just got a divorce, and I make $4,800 after taxes. Even though my wife cheated on me and took my kids, the judge has ordered me to pay $3,600 per month in Child support. My wife has not been asked to work or anything until our youngest child is 6 (5 years from now).

By the way - my student loans are $500 per month, leaving me about $700 to live off of, with my wife getting the rest.

If I can't make these payments, I go to jail. Then, I have Barack Obama and everyone else saying I'm just another black man who doesn't want to take care of his children.

I hope that black women who don't understand why men don't want to get married can realize that it's not so easy on the other side of the table. I was nearly suicidal after seeing that even though I did everything right and tried my best, my cheating wife has taken my children and all of my money for the next 18 years.

Black women can all go to hell.

Eric L. Wattree said...

Brother,

I want to assure you that I sympathize with your situation. I also want to agree that it sounds like you're the victim of a vindictive Black woman (I won't call her a sister) and a racist judicial system. But let me ask you a question. What would you say about a White victim who was robbed by one Black criminal, then said that all Black people could go to Hell?

Wattree

Anonymous said...

Actually what happened to this man above is not uncommon. I have male friends who were damaged so bad by divorce that they are never going to consider getting married again. This is a common problem.