Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Jumping to Conclusions

Barack Obama gave a speech about Fathers on Father's Day in a Black Church. Since that time I have been reading headlines using words like, Attacks, Berates, Puts Down, Scolds, to defign his speech and how it was aimed at the Black Community. After recieving Dr. Watkins latest email stating the same thing I figured why not state my own opinion. I'm not a Black man but I am a single Black mother so It think that allows me to share my perspective too.



I don't like snipits and sound bites to I found the actual address Obama gave this past Sunday and read it. I wanted to see if there was anything that I found that I would consider offensive or harsh. I didn't find anything. I also didn't see the speech being aimed at only the African American community. The only time he really mentioned us was to say this "You and I know how true this is in the African-American community. We know that more than half of all black children live in single-parent households, a number that has doubled – doubled – since we were children. We know the statistics – that children who grow up without a father are five times more likely to live in poverty and commit crime; nine times more likely to drop out of schools and twenty times more likely to end up in prison. They are more likely to have behavioral problems, or run away from home, or become teenage parents themselves. And the foundations of our community are weaker because of it.

No comments: