Tuesday, February 3, 2009

President Barack Obama says He Screwed up on Daschle Appointment

"I don't think Washington wins," President Obama tells NBC's Brian Williams in the interview that the TV network will broadcast this evening -- one of five sit-downs the president did with national news anchors this afternoon.

"The fact of the matter is Tom Daschle pulled out today," Obama continues. "And I'm here on television saying I screwed up and that's part of the era of responsibility; is not never making mistakes; it's owning up to them and trying to make sure you never repeat them and that's what we intend to do."

The networks are sending out excerpts. Highlights from the others we've gotten so far:

• Obama tells ABC's Charles Gibson this was an embarrassing day for his administration, with the collapse of Daschle's nomination as Health and Human Services secretary and Nancy Killefer as chief performance officer.

"We're going to have some glitches," Obama adds, "and I understand that that's what people are going to focus on. And I'm focused on it because I don't want glitches. We can't afford glitches because, right now, what I should be spending time talking to you about is how we're going to put three to four million people back to work. And so this is a self-induced injury that I'm angry about, and we're going to make sure we get it fixed."

 

Click to read.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this.

It's kinda weird to see our president up front on television apologizing for mishandling something... like he owes us something. Oh wait... that's right.. this is the way it's supposed to work.

I love how seriously he's treating his job. I love his apparent devotion to accountability. I hope he keeps this up.

Idk.. just seeing a president act responsibly... I think I like him more for this.

Gobama!

(now can we please get some effin healthcare?)

One Love,
--Reverend Manny and the Twilight Empire